Open Access (Books)
Amsterdam University Press (AUP) has a longstanding tradition in open access publishing: A fifth of our books have been published in open access and the majority of our journals are published in open access, either immediate or delayed.
Why publish in Open Access with AUP:
- Innovative approaches: AUP works with a number of different models for Open Access publishing, such as Gold, Delayed and Green Open Access, and actively collaborates with partners such as Knowledge Unlatched to find new and effective approaches to Open Access Publishing.
- Competitive charges: AUP offers highly competitive rates for Open Access publishing. AUP offers immediate publication of a monograph or edited volume in Open Access from €4500 and delayed Open Access publication (min. 12 months after publication) from €2250.
- Increased visibility and impact: All AUP Open Access titles are included in the international Open Access library for academic titles in the Humanities and Social Sciences OAPEN (Open Access Publishing in European Networks). This provides permanent, free-of-charge access to all readers, increasing the visibility and impact of your work.
- Advice for authors: AUP may give authors advice on publishing in Open Access in order to comply with funding mandates and/or institutional policies.
- High quality publication standards: All AUP publications are rigorously peer-reviewed by experts to ensure the highest quality of the work and compliance with academic standards.
- Editorial support: AUP provides extensive editorial support to authors throughout the entirety of the publication process, which we strive to make as efficient, thorough, and as rapid as possible.
- Worldwide print distribution: All AUP Open Access publications are also published in print and distributed worldwide. Our books are available in the US and Canada through the University of Chicago Press, and in Europe and the rest of the world through NBN International.
- International sales and marketing: Our experienced and dedicated international sales and marketing team will promote your book to a wide range of relevant academic and public institutions, publications, and libraries around the world to ensure the greatest possible exposure.
AUP charges the following fees for publishing a monograph or edited volume in open access:
- Immediate open access from: € 4500,- (VAT included)
- Delayed (minimum of 12 months after publication date) from: € 2250,- (VAT included)
Green Open Access
Amsterdam University Press supports Green Open Access for all our academic book chapters, monographs and journal articles. We encourage authors to share their author’s version in institutional repositories, their personal website and on Mendeley, ResearchGate or Academia.edu and similar outlets. AUP has no embargos (delay / waiting time) for Green Open Access.
The author’s version is the manuscript after peer-review and accepted for publication, for instance as MS Word file, RTF or PDF, but not the AUP print proof or final PDF. When you share please credit the article’s version of record: this is the article in the original journal on the IngentaConnect platform, or the book listed on the AUP website. Please include the ISBN for books or DOI digital object identifier for chapters and journal articles (which looks like this: dx.doi.org/10.5117/XXX.X.XXX) to make it easy for readers to cite the article, book chapter or monograph.
If your contribution is published as immediate Open Access, you are free to share the official version of the PDF – the Open Access status of your journal article can be found on IngentaConnect: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/aup , the status of your book chapter or monograph can be found on the AUP website.
The copyright of an AUP publication remains with the author under the terms of the Creative Commons (CC) licenses. The CC license ensures that authors receive credit for their work and is applicable worldwide.
AUP’s default license for books is Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives (CC BY-NC-ND). This license only allows others to download works and share verbatim copies of them with others as long as they credit the author. Works under this license may not be changed in any way or used commercially. In our experience, authors prefer this license, but upon request we can offer one of the other Creative Commons licences.
We encourage you to share your Open Access publication (including your article in an edited volume) as much as possible in institutional repositories. Please note that when sharing your publication, you are obliged always to link to the original source, i.e. the entry on OAPEN. If your work is published in Delayed Open Access, you must wait until the end of the embargo period to publish it on personal or commercial sites.
If you have any further open access queries or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org